Sunday, January 6, 2019

Virtues & Characteristics of Surah al-Fatihah


The Opening Surah

Surah al-Fatihah has many virtues, and great characteristics mentioned in the Prophetic Sunnah, among which are the following:


It is the greatest surah in the Quran. Abû Sa’eed bin al-Mu’llã, may Allah be pleased with him, said: “The Prophetﷺ passed while I was praying, and he called me, but I did not go to him until I finished the prayer. He said, ‘What prevented you from coming to me?’ I said: ‘I was praying.’ He said, ‘Has not Allah said,
(O you who believe! Obey Allah and the Messenger if they invite you to what gives you life…) [Q 8:24]? Then he said: ‘Shall I teach you the greatest surah in the Quran before I leave the mosque?’ Then, The Prophetﷺ was about to leave the mosque; thus, I reminded him of his statement. He said: ‘Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds.’ It is the Seven oft-Repeated Ayat, and the Glorious Quran, which is revealed to me.’”  
It is light. No Prophet before Prophet Muhammadﷺ was given it. Ibn Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, said: “While Gabriel was sitting with the Prophetﷺ, he heard a creaking sound above him. He lifted his head. Then he said: ‘This is a gate that has been opened in the heaven today. It has never been opened before today. Then an angel descended through it.’ He said: ‘This is an angel who has descended to the earth, and he has never done so before today.’ He greeted them, and said: ‘Rejoice! You have been given two lights, and no Prophet was given them before you. They are the Opening of the Book, and the concluding ayat of surah al-Baqarah. Whenever you recite any letter from them, you will be given your request.’” 
When reciting it, confiding takes place between Allah and His slave. Abû Hurarya, may Allah be pleased with him said: “I heard the Messengerﷺ saying: ‘Allah, be exalted, said: ‘I have divided the prayer between Me and My slave into two halves, and My slave shall have what he has asked for.’ If the slave says: ‘Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds.’ Allah, be exalted, will say: ‘My slave has thanked Me.’ If he says: ‘The most merciful, the giver of mercy.’ Allah, be exalted, will say: ‘My slave has praised Me.’ If he says: ‘The Master of the Day of Judgment.’ Allah will say: ‘My slave has exalted Me.’ If he says: ‘You alone, we worship, and You alone, we ask for help.’ Allah will say: ‘This is between Me and My slave, and My slave shall have what he has asked for.’ If he says: ‘Guide us to the straight path. The path of those whom You have blessed, not of those who have incurred Your anger, nor of those who have gone astray.’ Allah will say: ‘This is for My slave, and My slave shall have what he has asked for.’” 
No prayer will be accepted from whoever does not recite it: Ubãda bin as-Sãmit, may Allah be pleased with him, reported that the Prophetﷺ said: “No prayer will be accepted from whoever does not recite the Opening of the Book.” 

Characteristics of Surah al-Fatihah

It is a healing ‘ruqya’ heavenly protection, by the permission of Allah, be exalted. Abû Sa’eed al-Khudry, may Allah be pleased with him, reported, “Some of the companions of the Prophetﷺ went on a journey. They reached a place where there were some Arab tribes, and asked them for accommodation. However, they turned down their request. The chief of the tribe was stung then, and the people of the tribe did their best to treat him, but their attempts were in vain. Some people of the tribe said, “How about going to those people who have just settled in our area. Some of them may have treatment.” They went to them, and said, “O people! Our chief has been stung, and we have tried to treat him, but it was in vain. Can anyone of you help us? One of them said, “Yes. I can offer him ruqya ‘reading specific supplications approved by Islamic Shari’a for seeking treatment.’ However, by Allah! We asked you for accommodation, and you turned down our request. I will not offer the ruqya until you give us some wage for doing so.’ They agreed to give them a flock of sheep. He went to their chief, and spitted over him while reciting surah al-Fatihah. The chief immediately became all right, and got up and walked as if he was released from a rope that was tight fastened. The people of the tribe gave them the agreed wage. Some of the reciter’s companions said, ‘Let’s divide the wage among us.’ However, he refused and said, ‘Do not do so. Wait until we go to the Prophetﷺ, tell him what happened, and know what he will command us to do.’ Then they went to the Messengerﷺ, and told him the story. He said to the man, ‘How do you know that surah al-Fatihah is ruqya?’ Then he said, ‘You have done the right thing. Divide the wage among you and give me a share from it.’ Thereupon, the Messengerﷺ laughed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment