Sunday, September 8, 2019

All things happen by the will of Allah [Surah Al-Kahf Ayah 23-24]


Tafsir of Surah Al-Kahf Ayah 23-24

Do not say, ‘Indeed, I shall do such and such thing tomorrow.’

‘…unless you add, ‘If Allah wills.’’ Remember your Lord when you forget something, and say, ‘I hope that my Lord will guide me to the nearest guiding path.’ [Surah al-Kahf: 23-24]

Tafsir 

Guidance 

In the following ayat, Allah commanded Messenger Muhammad to follow certain guidance when intending to do something in the future. 

Do not say, ‘Indeed, I shall do such and such thing tomorrow.’ [23]

This is disciplinary guidance to Messenger Muhammad. It commanded him, when intending to do something in the future, not to act as if it would certainly take place. Rather, he should associate his intention with the phrase ‘If Allah wills.’

 It was said so to Messenger Muhammad as he promised to answer the disbelievers’ questions the following day without associating his promise with the phrase ‘If Allah wills.’ The revelation had not come to Messenger Muhammad for fifteen days until he felt uneasiness. Then Allah revealed the answer to the questions to him, informed him of the reason for stopping the revelation, and taught him guidance to follow when intending to do something in the future. Allah told him, ‘O Muhammad! Do not say I will do such and such thing tomorrow as you told the disbelievers when they asked you certain questions unless you associate your intention with the phrase saying ‘If Allah wills.’ 

 The ayah is not intended for prohibiting people from thinking about doing things in the future; rather, it guides them not to be certain when doing so because no one knows what will happen in the future but Allah. 

‘…unless you add, ‘If Allah wills.’’ Remember your Lord when you forget something, and say, ‘I hope that my Lord will guide me to the nearest guiding path.’ [24]

The scholars mention three opinions regarding the meaning of this ayah. The first opinion is if you forget to say ‘If Allah wills’ when intending to do something, and then remember it, then remember Allah. The second one is if you get angry, remember Allah. The third opinion is if you forget something, then remember Allah so He will help you to remember it. 

(…and say, ‘I hope that my Lord will guide me to the nearest guiding path.’)

O Messenger! Mention your Lord’s name when you intend to do something. If you forget to do so and then you remember, then mention your Lord’s name and say I hope that my Lord will guide me to the nearest right path. 

Indeed, Allah did guide His Messenger to the right path. He related to him stories of the prophets, and some news of the unseen that were greater than the story of the young men of the cave. 

Gathering People for Reckoning on the Day of Judgment

No comments:

Post a Comment