Sunday, February 16, 2020

Traveling From the Desert to the Oasis

From the desert

O my soul: I want to travel from the desert of disobedience to the oasis of obedience.

The soul: It's okay. But remember, you may be deprived of many enjoyments.
You may be deprived of seeing what you want.
You may be deprived of hearing what you want.
You may be deprived of doing what you want at the time and in the manner you want. 
O my soul: Do you truly advise me? 
Do you want me to enjoy my life?
The soul: Yes, I love you. I want you to enjoy every moment of your life as much as you like.
O my soul: What is the benefit of seeing what I want if it involves what Allah prohibits?
The soul: Do not be so strict, so meticulous. Seeing some beautiful things is not an enormous sin. Just seek forgiveness from Allah after seeing them. Indeed, Allah is forgiving, and merciful. 
O my soul: Will hearing vulgar words calm down my restless spirit? 
The soul: Definitely, they will make you forget your heartbreaking pains. 
O my soul: They may make me forget my heartbreaking pains, but they will make my heart grow hard.
The soul: You are exaggerating. It is just a drop of happiness in the ocean of sadness. 
O my soul: I want to taste what people enjoy, but I am afraid of its negative consequences. 
The soul: You are an idiot. You want to isolate yourself. You want to live in the medieval age just because you are afraid of imagined negative consequences. 
Look how all people live. They enjoy their modern life. They don't suffer from your imagined negative consequences. However, if you are afraid, just enjoy some of what people enjoy, and try to control yourself. 
O my soul: I want to believe you, but…  
The soul: Why you don't want to believe me. I love you and want your happiness. You will just live your life once. So, what's the problem with you?  Do your old-fashioned ideals keep you away from broad-mindedness?
O my soul: Do you think that adhering to the straight path that leads to the pleasure of Allah is an old-fashioned ideal?
The soul: Don't misunderstand me. I do not tell you to disobey Allah. Rather, I strongly advise you to obey Him. You should pray, fast, and do good deeds. But at the same time, I want you to keep pace with this modern age. I do not want you to be seen as someone from the medieval age. You don't live alone in this world, and you cannot impose your old-fashioned ideals on the whole world. You have to choose between interacting with the modern age, and being isolated with your obsolete ideals. 
O my soul: Did Muhammad salla Allah alayyhi wa-sallam preach old-fashioned ideals? Was he only sent to his age?
The soul: You are so stubborn, or I don't understand you. O my friend!
To the oasis

O my soul: I want to walk across the path that leads to safety. It is simple and clear. I need only to follow the principles that Muhammad salla Allah alayyhi wa-sallam preached. Following them guarantees humanity happiness. 
They don't divide the world into two adversary camps; rather, they warrant peace and safety for the whole world. However, they don't accept any compromise that violates them. 
They want their followers to do their best to apply them. 
They want their followers to recognize the rights of mankind, be followers or non-followers of their faith. 
They teach their followers that life is a bridge that  leads to everlasting life, and instruct them not to focus on how long or short the bridge is; rather, to focus on adhering to the rules of safety across the bridge because it will inevitably come to an end.
O my soul: Do you want to accompany me on this journey. I promise to consult you about the smallest details. 

The soul: I think this is a worthwhile experience. Why I don't judge these principles through hand-on experience as long as I have the freedom to continue or stop from going on this journey. 



No comments:

Post a Comment