Sunday, September 6, 2020

Tafsir of Surah Ibrahim Ayah: 35-41 The Prayers of Ibrahim

Quran Surah Ibrahim

Mention when Ibrahim said, ‘O my Lord! Make this city secure and make me and my sons avoid worshipping idols.’ [Q 14: 35] 

O my Lord! Indeed, they have led many people astray. Whoever follows me, indeed, he belongs to me, and whoever disobeys me, indeed, You are Oft-Forgiving, All-Merciful. [Q 14:36]

O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring dwell in an uncultivated valley near Your Sacred House. O our Lord! I did so that they might perform the prayer. Thus, make the hearts of some people yearn for them, and provide them with kinds of fruits so that they may be thankful. [Q 14: 37] 

O our Lord! Indeed, You know what we conceal and what we reveal. Nothing on earth or in heaven is hidden from Allah. [Q 14: 38]  

All praise is due to Allah, who has granted me, though I am old, Ishmael and Isaac. Indeed, my Lord is All-Hearer of the invocation. [Q 14: 39] 

O my Lord! Make me constantly perform the prayer and some of my offspring too. O our Lord! Accept my invocation. [Q 14: 40] 

O our Lord! Forgive me and my parents, and the believers when the Day of Reckoning will be established. [Q 14: 41] 


Relationship with the Previous Part

The previous part mentions some proofs denoting the Oneness and ability of Allah and that it is prohibited to worship other gods besides Allah. Then the following ayat narrate the story of Ibrahim. They mention that he strongly disapproved of worshipping the idols, and earnestly prayed to Allah asking Him to make him and his progeny avoid idol worship. Ibrahim’s invocation implies warning to the disbelievers of Mecca, who claimed that they followed his creed. It indicates that they should repent to Allah, imitate their father, Ibrahim, and worship Allah alone. 

Tafsir

Mention when Ibrahim said, ‘O my Lord! Make this city secure and make me and my sons avoid worshipping idols.’[Q 14: 35] 

The city refers to Mecca and the idols refer to the objects that the disbelievers used to worship besides Allah, Exalted be He.
O Messenger! Mention to your people the story of Ibrahim when he invoked His Lord, Allah. He said, ‘O my Lord! Make this city, Mecca, secure, and safe. And make me and my sons avoid worshipping idols and make us worship You sincerely.’
Ibrahim mentioned security first in his invocation because it is one of the greatest blessings. If a man loses security, he cannot think well and cannot dedicate his time to his religious and worldly affairs easily. 
A scholar was asked, ‘which is more important: security or health? He said, ‘Security is more important.’ The proof is that if a sheep’s feet broke, it would be healed after some time. Then it would comfortably graze and eat. On the other hand, if the sheep was tied in a particular place and there was a wolf near it, it would not eat until it dies. This means that the harm caused by fear is greater than the harm caused by physical pain[Tafsir al-Razi, Imam Fakhr al-Din al-Razi].’ 
Mujahid said, ‘[Mention when Ibrahim said, ‘O my Lord! Make this city secure and make me and my sons avoid worshipping idols.’] Allah accepted the invocation of Ibrahim. No one of his sons worshipped idols after this invocation. Moreover, Allah accepted his invocation and made Mecca secure and safe. He provided its inhabitants with sustenance. Allah made Ibrahim a role model, made some of his progeny perform the prayer, accepted his invocation, taught him how to perform the rituals of Hajj, and forgave his sins [Tafsir al-Tabari].’ 

O my Lord! Indeed, they have led many people astray. Whoever follows me, indeed, he belongs to me, and whoever disobeys me, indeed, You are Oft-forgiving, All-Merciful. [Q 14:36]

The ayah mentions why Ibrahim invoked Allah asking Him to make him and his sons avoid worshipping the idols.  
Ibrahim said, ‘O my Lord! These idols have led many people astray from the path pleasing You. They worship the idols and disbelieve in You. Whoever follows me by sincerely believing in You and avoiding belief in the idols, indeed, he follows my way and teachings. And whoever disobeys me, refuses to accept my call, and worships other gods besides You, indeed, You are Oft-Forgiving for the sins of the sinners who repent. Indeed, You are All-Merciful, and You grant Your mercy to whomever You want.’
Ibrahim said that the idols led people astray though they are inanimate because they were the cause of misguiding people. 
The ayah shows the sublime ethics that Ibrahim enjoyed when addressing and invoking Allah, Exalted be He. Ibrahim left deciding all matters to Allah. The ayah also indicates how compassionate and merciful Ibrahim was towards the sinners lest the severe torment of Allah should befall them.

O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring dwell in an uncultivated valley near Your Sacred House. O our Lord! I did so that they might perform the prayer. Thus, make the hearts of some people yearn for them, and provide them with kinds of fruits so that they may be thankful. [Q 14: 37] 

Ibrahim said this invocation when he made his son, Ishmael, and his wife, Hagar, dwell in Mecca near the sacred mosque.

[O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring dwell in an uncultivated valley near Your Sacred House.]

 O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring, i.e. Ishmael and his descended who would be born in the future, dwell in un uncultivated valley, i.e. Mecca, near Your Sacred House, which You prohibited violating its sanctity, made it a place where people live peacefully, and favored it over other places. 
Abdul-Allah bin Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, said, ‘Ibrahim brought his wife, Hagar, and his son, Ishmael, who was a baby, to a place near the Sacred House in Mecca. He left them under a tree over the area where Zamzam well located towards the highest area of the mosque. There were no people and no water in Mecca. After Ibrahim put his wife and son there and gave them a leather bag containing some dates and a small water-skin, containing some water, Ibrahim set out, returning to his hometown. Hagar followed him. Then she said, ‘O Ibrahim! Where are you going, leaving us in this valley, where there are no people or anything?’ She repeated this question, but he did not look back to see her. She said, ‘Has Allah commanded you to do so?’ He said, ‘Yes.’ She said, ‘Then, indeed, He will never cause us to lose.’ Then she returned. Ibrahim set out. When Ibrahim reached a place where they could not see him, he turned his face towards the Sacred House and invoked Allah this invocation. [O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring dwell in an uncultivated valley near Your Sacred House…] [English Translation of Sahih al-Bukhari]

[O our Lord! I did so that they might perform the prayer.]

Ibrahim mentioned why he made some of his offspring dwell near the Sacred House in Mecca.
He said, ‘O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring dwell in this area so that they occupy themselves with performing the prayer, and constantly obeying and remembering you.’
The prayer is specifically mentioned because of its great importance. 

[Thus, make the hearts of some people yearn for them.]

Some people refer to the believers because they go to Mecca for Hajj, Umra, and performing righteous deeds. 
Allah says that Ibrahim prayed to Him so that He would make the hearts of some people yearn for settling in the area where he left his family and performing the Hajj. Mujahid said, ‘[Thus, make the hearts of some people yearn for them.] Had Ibrahim said the hearts of the people, the Persians, and the Roman would have crowded there [Tafsir al-Tabari].’ 

[…and provide them with kinds of fruits so that they may be thankful.]

Ibrahim prayed to Allah so that He would provide his descendants with kinds of fruits found in other places to help them worship and obey Him because the area of the Sacred House was uncultivated. Moreover, they would thank Allah for His blessings. This indicates that the blessings of Allah are obtained to use them in a manner that pleases Him. 
Indeed, Allah, Exalted be He, accepted the prayer of Ibrahim. Although the land of Mecca is uncultivated, different kinds of fruits are brought there from all over the world.

O our Lord! Indeed, You know what we conceal and what we reveal. Nothing on earth or in heaven is hidden from Allah. [Q 14: 38]  

Ibrahim said, ‘O our Lord! You know my intention when I invoked You. I intended to attain Your pleasure by sincerely invoking You. You know all things, apparent and hidden. Nothing is hidden from You on earth or heaven. I invoke You to worship You and attain Your mercy, and bounties.’ 

All praise is due to Allah, who has granted me, though I am old, Ishmael and Isaac. Indeed, my Lord is All-Hearer of the invocation. [Q 14: 39] 

Ibrahim thanked Allah, Exalted be He, because He granted him offspring at old age.  He said, ‘All praise is due to Allah, who granted me offspring after I reached old age. Indeed, my Lord, Allah, hears and accepts my invocation.’ 
Allah granted Ibrahim his son, Ishmael, from his wife Hagar, and Isaac, who was younger than Ishmael, from his wife Sara.
The Quran mentions that Allah, Exalted be He, granted Ibrahim Ishmael and Isaac when he and his wife were very old. As for how old he was, the Quran has not mentioned that. There are different narrations about this issue. It was said that Ibrahim was ninety-nine years old when Ishmael was born, and one hundred and twelve years old when Isaac was born. Another narration states that Ishmael was born when Ibrahim was sixty-four, and Isaac was born when he was ninety years old. Sa’id bin Jubayr said, ‘Ibrahim did not have children until he reached one hundred and seventeen years. ‘Though I am old,’ is specifically mentioned because having children at a very old age is considered a great blessing. At such age, people despair of having children as well as having children at such age was considered a miracle for Ibrahim [Tafsir al-Razi].’ 

O my Lord! Make me constantly perform the prayer and some of my offspring too. O our Lord! Accept my invocation. [Q 14: 40] 

Ibrahim said, ‘O my Lord! Make me constantly perform the prayer with sincerity and humility, and make some of my descendants imitate me in performing it. O my Lord! Accept my invocation and worship.’
 Ibrahim said ‘some of my descendants’ because Allah informed him that some of his descendants would be disbelievers [Surah al-Baqarah: 124].

O our Lord! Forgive me and my parents, and the believers when the Day of Reckoning will be established. [Q 14: 41] 

Ibrahim prayed to Allah to forgive his sins and the sins of his parents and the believers when the Day of Reckoning would be established. 
Ibrahim prayed to Allah to forgive the sins of his father before he knew that he would die as a disbeliever. Allah says, interpretation of meaning, [Ibrahim’s asking forgiveness for his father was only because of a promise he had made to him. But when he certainly knew that his father was an enemy of Allah, he disowned him. Indeed, Ibrahim was an earnest invoker, very forbearing.] [Surah at-Tawbah: 114] 

Learned Lessons From Surah Ibrahim Ayah: 35-41

Security is one of the most important blessings that the believers should pray to Allah to attain because achieving happiness in this life and the Hereafter greatly depends on having it. 
It is recommended that the believer makes supplication for himself, his parents, and his descendants.
The supplication of Ibrahim focused on the sincere worship of Allah and the avoidance of worshipping idols.
Many people go astray because of worshipping idols.
It is obligatory to obey Messenger Muhammad.
It is permissible to ask Allah for forgiveness for the disobedient believers.
Ibrahim made his wife, Hagar, and his son, Ishmael, dwell in Mecca near the Sacred mosque to worship Allah and perform the prayer.
It is impermissible for any person to leave his family in a place without provisions because this will lead to their destruction. Ibrahim left his family in un uncultivated land because Allah commanded him to do so.
Allah’s knowledge is comprehensive. Nothing in the universe is hidden from Allah.
One of the blessings of the prayer of Ibrahim is that every believer yearns to visit the Sacred Mosque in Mecca and that Allah has caused different kinds of sustenance, which come from all over the world, available in Mecca.
The Quran mentions that Allah, Exalted be He, granted Ibrahim his sons, Ishmael and Isaac, when he and his wife were very old.
Allah, Exalted be He, accepts the invocations of those who sincerely pray to Him.
Performing the prayer is one of the most important acts of worship.
It is recommended to pray to Allah for forgiveness for oneself, one’s family, and the believers. 

2 comments: